Australia's China Knowledge Capability
Understanding current capacity and identifying future needs.
Australia’s capacity to engage effectively with China relies on robust, up-to-date and independent information, and the capacity of Australia’s higher education system to train personnel, conduct research and communicate evidence-based findings.
At present there are critical gaps in our understanding of the capacity of Australia’s universities to meet these needs. The project will survey Australia’s research and training capacity to effectively engage with and understand China at an important juncture in the relationship; and identify the knowledge needs of select stakeholders involved in the China relationship
Helping Australian governments, universities, industries and communities to develop informed engagement strategies, build on existing strengths, and address knowledge deficits.
- Map Australia’s research and training capabilities in China studies.
- Provide a survey of current and emerging knowledge requirements for select stakeholders.
- Undertake a preliminary assessment of the capabilities needed to support a successful engagement strategy with China into the future.
The project is guided by an Advisory Group comprising experts from academia, business, and government. The Advisory Group is led by the Academy’s Vice President and International Secretary, Professor Louise Edwards FASSA FHKAH FAHA, formerly Scientia Professor of Chinese History at the University of New South Wales, Professor of Modern China Studies at the University of Hong Kong, and Director of the UTS China Research Centre.
Advisory Group members:
- Professor John Fitzgerald AM FAHA, Former President, Australian Academy of the Humanities
- Mr Peter Varghese AO, Chancellor, University of Queensland
- Mr Kevin Hobgood-Brown AM, Managing Director, HHK Advisory
- Professor Vivian Lin, Director, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, Hong Kong University
- Professor Anne McLaren, Asia Institute, University of Melbourne
- Mr Jason Yat-Sen Li, CEO, Yatsen Associates
For further information please contact the Project Director Cathryn Hlavka at email@example.com.